Monday, March 07, 2005

Things Can Only Get Sirius

Faithful reader Matty points out that I am very close to becoming a pet blogger (actually, I think he flat out called me one), so let's discuss another one of my favorite topics, shall we? You know it's music of the early and mid-'80s up through the mid-'90s, natch!

So I got a new car last week (love it) and one of the many perks of new car (who, sadly, remains nameless right now) is that it came with a free year of Sirius satellite radio. It's sort of like a cell phone, or the iPod, or soy milk: not totally necessary for my daily existence, but holy hell, what did I do without it? I haven't even been able to move past five of the stations because they're just that good. I usually go back and forth between First Wave, the "classic alternative" station (new wave, the Cure, et cetera) and Left of Center, the indie/college rock station. On the former, I heard one of my all-time favorite songs that I'd totally forgotten about: Vicious Pink's "Can't You See." (In the club that I DJ in my head, I play that, and "Crazy in Love," and the Roots' "The Seed 2.0," and "Hungry Like the Wolf" and lots of Phoenix and anything with a Pharrell cameo, and everyone dances like fools...but I digress). As I was driving to work this morning in a pissy mood, I heard "Rattled by the Rush" (a Pavement gem, for those of you who never saw the light) on Left of Center and suddenly, the world was a better place. There's NPR and PRI and BBC, too, but I haven't even programmed them in yet--that's how good the music is.