Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Radio On

While scanning the stations, I am guaranteed to hear, in the course of day, the following:

-John Mayer, at least three times, and sometimes the same song every time.
-What I call the "You gots the poison" song, but what I think is actually called "The Remedy."
-Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing"
-That song that contains a reference to "the best soy latte that you've ever had" which, while somewhat insipid, always makes me hyperaware of my own bobo-ness, since, hey, I like the soy lattes.

This makes the state of radio in KC sound particularly dire, and while we lack, say, WFMU, our local alt-station isn't terrible. They overplay "Seven Nation Army," sure, but they also play Postal Service and Grandaddy.

Today I heard something that made me a little upset with 96.5 The Buzz, though: this week's contest prize is a trip to Detroit over Thanksgiving Weekend to see the Stripes. Okay, that didn't make me upset. The promo the station's running for the contest is this whole spiel about how Detroit is full of crack whores and crime, and ends with "We're the only station with the audacity to send you to Detroit for Thanksgiving." As if it's some sort of punishment. As if some of us haven't gone to Detroit for Thanksgiving, willingly, to see both sides of our family. As if the entire city resembles Eight Mile. Detroit may not be pretty, but it's got civic pride like you wouldn't believe. My own grandma, god bless her, watched Eight Mile--because she represents, you know?