Thursday, October 02, 2003

Blue at the Lagoon

I am hurting, people.

I've read all the British and Indian mags Davina has to offer, and I've learned that Indian Cosmo is just as racy. Who knew?

When not taking quizzes on my sex appeal, I am doped up on antihistamines (I don't think they're doing anything, but I like them because they're pink) and getting about 16 hours of sleep. I would feel worse about this if the weather hadn't soured hugely. Oh yes, and I read Love in the Time of Cholera, and You Are Not a Stranger Here and then The Backpacker, only because a copy of it was hanging around here (don't bother) and I've been needlepointing, too.

Because I am, let's be honest, not operating at my normal mental capacity, I decided that there's no better time to kick Coffee than when you're already sick and miserable.

Not that I'm keeping track, but this is the third time this year I've found myself in a paradise-like locale and have been too illin' to enjoy it. What is the Universe trying to tell me?

Ganesh the Room Boy is working it Jewish grandmother style, looking at me and my plate sadly when he sees that I have eaten two bites of dinner and proclaiming, "Madam is not well" to the others. Like all good Jewish matrons, he hasn't grasped the difference between lonely and alone, and keeps inadvertently insulting me with the former when he means the latter. He then looks sad again when I refuse his offers to introduce me to other guests. Sorry, I just can't be social when I'm sick.

One more thing before I go back to bed for the day: I rode into town yesterday and saw an elephant on the side of the road. An elephant! That made me feel better for a brief moment.