Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Another Day, Another Desikachar Sighting

So Desikachar's been coming to speak at some of our classes, and his answers to our questions are simple but meaningful (When asked, "What should we call this style of yoga?" he responded, "Your yoga").

Over the weekend, Anna and I went to the beach (and got totally sun-drunk and blissed out by watching the waves roll in and out on the shore; clearly I've been thinking too much) and saw the whole Desikachar family at the resort nearby. Menaka, his wife and my hero, was walking around, holding her teeny cute granddaughter, and, as usual, I got all nervous around her. I am trying so hard to convey my interest in her class, in the Yoga Sutras, how I looooove her and want her to maybe adopt me and carry me around, but every time I am around her, I say something vapid ("I really like your sari!") and not at all intelligent. This was made worse yesterday by the fact that Mr. METY, for whom I've been feeling sort of bad, even though his Bottomless Pit of Self-Loathing is more like a BP of Self-Awareness, which may well be worse, decided to sit next to me and kept whispering to me and then we were scolded by Menaka! It was just like getting busted for talking in fourth grade, except this time it wasn't my fault! It was his! I was trying to listen!

Anna and I ran into him last night at Amethyst and I told him I was not impressed. Instead of apologizing, we were treated to a report of his recent dreams. Things were better before I decided to try to be nice to him.

Grrrrr.