Monday, August 22, 2005

Olivia Juice

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I get the Other Music updates, and there’s some re-release, and the writer talks about how, yes, this collection of ´70s Ethiopian girl groups is really rare, so rare that their copy was almost stolen by DJ Shadow, but hey! It’s now on CD for the rest of us to enjoy. Every so often, I actually own the item that’s been re-released.

So hurrah for the weirdos Olivia Tremor Control. I didn’t even realize this was out of print since 1999, but then again, I don’t think I’ve listened to this since then either. I’ve been driving around with it in my car, though, and I’d forgotten how much I enjoy this album. Like most albums that you listen to repeatedly at any point in your life, when I first put Music from the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk at Cubist Castle in the CD player, I started singing along. Because I know all the words. Still.

Also recently ready for the world, Orange Juice! This is new, so I don’t have this already, but I do have something called The Very Best of Orange Juice that I bought in London or Edinburgh in 1996 or so, which probably has the same stuff on it. If you don’t have all the originals, go get this. I promise it’s good.