Thursday, September 11, 2003

Dancing in the Dark

Erik writes in sounding quite worried: Do you have any music over there to listen to?? I assume you have the ipod ... but isn't there like a different type of electricity over there???? These are my concerns, yes. I just need to know that you aren't starved of Eggstone.

Ah, fret not! I was getting used to Bollywood anthems and strange moments of Western music (last night at our hotel, Anna and I sat down to dinner while they blasted Eminem; the cafe closest to the hotel--Cafe Random, we call it--was playing classic rock as well as Royksopp the other night) but, for Erik, I busted out the iPod last night. I would like to say that I spent a peaceful hour listening to mellow electronica, but the truth is that I searched out every song with a steady beat and shimmied around, practicing my bellydancing moves, ignoring the power outages that left my room dark for several minutes at a time. It was a total solo dance party--not the same to be in India instead of E's Harlem apartment or the kitchen of my old place on 20th Street, or even to kick it old-school style with Danny in a dorm room, blasting disco, but breathless fun nonetheless.

And yes, I listened to Eggstone. LIke you had to remind me.