Wednesday, August 27, 2003

I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday.

A recent trip to my local record store was supposed to net two copies of the Neptunes CD only, but somehow my sister and I walked out of there with several CD's apiece, partially because we are codependent when it comes to enlarging our music collections, and partially because I stumbled across a whole spell of stuff that I'd been meaning to buy but hadn't--fill-in's, if you will.

A KC radio station does a '90s lunch hour that I am convinced exists solely to make me feel really old. "All I Want" was played a few weeks ago and it had been stuck in my head since. So when I spied "PS: A Toad Retrospective" in the racks, I figured I had to own it, especially since all of my Toad CD's are long gone, probably replaced by the early Teenbeat catalog in 1993.

I didn't listen to the CD until today as I was driving into town. Traffic had slowed on State Line Road because the Leawood Police were a few cars ahead, so everyone was going 35 like good responsible citizens, even though the hill near Rockhurst is perfect for whooshing by at 50. The chorus of "I will not take these things for granted" hit me as I was inching along, and suddenly, I'm sixteen, "borrowing" my mom's license so I can get into The Bottleneck, and singing along at the top of my lungs in my first car, the much-loved ancient Audi. The cop makes a left, and people resume speeding, and I arrive at my destination: my gym, located across the street from where I attended high school, and I can see it so clearly: stopping at the Uncle Tupelo/Superchunk shrine-cum-locker I shared with Anna, heading out for lunch with Mark blasting Beloved, planning how to get into the Dinosaur Jr. show...

I've had several transcendental music experiences before and since, but the early '90s will always hold a special place in my music-loving heart.